Finally cooked a Butternut Squash. This beauty is heart friendly, a rich source of fibre, potassium, low in fat and be eaten as a fruit or vegetable. Head it is a good substitute for irish potatoes, yams and other carbohydrate rich tubers. So it had been on my mind to give it a try.
Butternut Squash is almost impossible for me to buy in Nigeria. Not because it isn’t available at the supermarkets, but the price is just ridiculous for me to completely cut out potatoes, yams and replace with it. Once saw some on display at Spar and when I weighed to pay it coast about N2,500 for just one tuber!
They go for about 70p – £1 in the UK and are a bit more pricey in Norway too.
I stir fried mine on very low heat in Lucy Bee Cocconut Oil with a mix of green & red peppers and garlic. I cooked it for nearly 30 minutes. My Smoked Mackerel was from a pack…If i was to cook from scratch it will probably follow the same process I use in cooking Pangasius recipe.
- Preheated my pan
- Spread in Lucy Bee Coconut Oil (Your Coconut Oil)
- Added in my chopped up red, green peppers and garlic
- Added in salt, black pepper, chilli flakes, dried parsley.
- Stir Fried for 5 minutes.
- Added the cut up Butter nut squash.
- Add the same spices again for taste.
- Covered to cook and stir fry till ready.